FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WABASSO
Established March 30, 1952
On February 17, 1938, Rev. T. O. Baldwin, Pastor of First Baptist Church of Vero Beach and four members of the Women's Missionary Society met at the home of Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Cadenhead for the purpose of organizing a mission circle. The new mission circle became very active and had a desire to see a Baptist church started in Wabasso. This desire became a prayer for the members of the mission circle.
In April 1951, Dr. J. C. DuBose was invited to attend a mission circle meeting to discuss the possibility of starting a church in the Wabasso community. He agreed to accept the task and work began immediately to establish a mission. First Baptist Church of Vero Beach sponsored the mission under the leadership of Rev. C. E. Rogers. The first meetings of the new church start were held in a restaurant owned by Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Pryor. The Sunday School was organized on May 20, 1951 with twenty-one in attendance. First Baptist Church of Wabasso was constituted as a church on March 30, 1952 with seventy-two charter members. The support of First Baptist Church of Vero Beach, the response of the Wabasso community along with prayers of the dedicated members of the mission circle made a Baptist church in the Wabasso area a reality.
The church is located at 4720 86th Street on property donated by Mr. and Mrs. R.C. Black. Various buildings have been erected on the site with construction of our current sanctuary beginning on March 18, 1979. In January 1980 the first worship services were held in the sanctuary.
We experienced major damage to our buildings during the hurricanes of 2004. Upon the completion of repairs and renovations, we held a Celebration Service with Dr. Jim Henry as our guest speaker on February 19, 2006.
Our sanctuary was renovated in August of 2009 as we installed new pews and carpet. The newness of the renovation reminds us that through salvation through Christ we become new creatures. We continue to ask God to do a work in our congregation so that we can better serve Him in our community.
As we continue with the ministry of First Baptist Church of Wabasso, we recognize the sacrifices and dedication of those who were charter members. We are privileged to still have as an active part of our fellowship Ms. Chatham who is a charter member of our church.